Selecting families to own and occupy homes may be the most challenging aspect of the volunteering ministry. The Family Selection Committee is responsible for outlining the selection criteria that is used to select families for the approval by the Board of Directors.
The Family Selection Committee is also responsible for communicating with prospective homeowners, screening and interviewing applicants, and recommending applicants for approval by the Board of Directors. Once an applicant has been approved as a prospective homeowner, the Family Selection and Family Support Committees work together to continue building a relationship with the selected family and guiding them through the Habitat for Humanity homeownership process.
Qualifications to volunteer for a Family Selection Committee position include:
- A time commitment of 5-6 hours per month for the year long duration of committee membership
- Communicate well with applicants, staff and other Family Selection Committee members
- Able to make difficult decisions with objectivity based on criteria
- Comfortable visiting unfamiliar communities with other committee members
- Knowledgeable of requirements for Habitat homeownership
- Sensitive to diverse groups of people, especially low-income families
If you’re interested in joining the Family Selection Committee, please contact Beverly Ward, Director of Family Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.