Research what type of project you’d like to complete. There are many free outlets, and you can always find great content on Pinterest. All of these sites can give you great and unique ideas or refurbishing furniture or items that you’d like to recycle into furniture. (Check out these cool street sign chair. You can also take classes at your local Habitat Restore to gain loads of valuable knowledge on your project.
Want to learn about DIY Refurbished Furniture? Be sure to take advantage of this free Habitat ReStore workshop to learn more about refurbished furniture: March 14, 2015; 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Build an Idea For Your New Space:
After reading tons of articles, many thrift shoppers say that when buying furniture, you should go in with an intention. This means asking yourself many questions like:
- Do I have enough space for this item?
- Do you really need this item?
- How will benefit you?
- What type of vibe would you like it to give off?
Before you go, sit down for thirty minutes and created a list of what you want in your new space. One suggestion is to have in mind the thought of style and utility.
If you have a large item that you would like to donate to the Restore, you can schedule a free pick-up!
Schedule Shopping Days:
You should also take the time out of your day to schedule a designated shopping day at your local Habitat Restore.
- Put your list on a phone or in your calendar. This will help you keep track of your progress and visualize the amount of time it will take to finish the project.
The Habitat Restore in New Castle County is open Tuesdays – Saturdays from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Create a Budget
- Create a budget for your piece within your monthly budget. Make sure all fixed bills, needs, and investments are out of the way.
- Then plan how you are going to pay for the piece as well as the materials or training you need to complete it. The Habitat Restore has everything need for your project at a great price. This includes furniture, glassware, doors, plumbing, and much more.
Habitat for Humanity has valuable materials and great furniture for a decent price. Check out this customer’s before and after photos of a dresser they purchased at the Habitat ReStore in Prices Corner. They were able to completely transform it with some new stain and a coat of paint!
You should also set a day aside to plan your workdays and stick to them.
- Set a day for when you’d like to finish them, and if you’d like someone to help invite them to your calendar, or schedule a text with a text scheduling app.
Follow these tips & suggestions to better organize your path to refurbishing your furniture.