Can I volunteer as an individual?Absolutely. You'll meet new friends who are giving their time and talent just like you.
Can we volunteer as a group?Yes. Fifteen (15) volunteers is the largest size group that can be signed up through our website. You can sign up one of two ways:
- As the designated team leader you can sign up for a work date and list the number of guests that will be coming out with you.
- You can ask each member of your group to sign-up individually. We prefer this way because we will then have skill level information about each volunteer signed up for a specific day. This is very helpful for advance planning of the day's tasks.
Do I have to be skilled to volunteer on the construction site?All skill levels are welcome—professional, some ability, and willing to learn. Professional and skilled community volunteers are encouraged to register as a Crew Leader. Crew Leaders assist the Habitat Construction Staff by leading a group of less skilled volunteers for the day.
Do you host volunteers for week-long volunteer projects?We do accept larger groups that would like to volunteer with us for a week. Modest accommodations are available. Contact our Volunteer Coordinator at (302) 652-0365 x110. How old do I have to be to volunteer on the construction site? Due to Delaware State Labor laws, and Habitat for Humanity International standards, all volunteers must be 16 years of age to work on the construction site. Volunteers under the age of 18 volunteers (16 and 17 years old) cannot work on the roof or operate power tools.
What days can I volunteer on the construction site?The construction sites are open Tuesday through Saturday. To view current construction projects, available work days and to sign-up, you will need to register on our website.
What hours will I work?The work site day is from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. with a half hour lunch. We ask that you arrive no later than 8:15 a.m. in order to sign in and be present when the Site Supervisor starts the day. The Site Supervisor will announce when clean up begins. It is expected that every volunteer will help with clean up at the end of the day so that everyone can leave at 3:00 p.m.
Can I work a half day?We only schedule full work days 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
What do I wear? What do I bring?
- Wear clothing that you will not worry about getting torn, stained or dirty.
- Dress in layers for warmth; we may be working outside even during the winter months.
- Wear hard-soled, closed toed shoes. Work boots or hiking boots preferred. Sneakers are acceptable, but not recommended.
- Long pants are suggested. Shorts can be worn but they make you vulnerable to cuts, splinters, and other accidents.
- Do not wear jewelry or loose clothing.
- Sunscreen recommended when working outdoors.
- Bring your lunch in an insulated lunch bag or cooler. Refrigeration is not available on site.
- You may wish to bring hand sanitizer as there may not be running water on site.